Saturday, October 8, 2022

LabSim. 2.6.7 Big Data Facts

It's said that knowledge is power, and information is the key. Who determines what information is public and what information is private, especially when certain information might be considered private to some but not to others. Then there are those that simply want the information because it is out there even if they have no real business possessing it or those that want the information because someone has deemed that they don't need it. It seems like as the convenience of the world increases the need to give up more information about oneself also increases, for example I have 98 applications (apps) on my phone that have requested access to my contacts list; Why does the Foot Locker app, which I use to buy shoes, need to know who is in my contacts? Or why is the Credit Karma app asking permission to access my physical activity, what does that have to do with credit monitoring? Yet I have given up some of my privacy for the conveniences of ordering shoes from my phone, sitting on the couch, instead of having to go to a brick-and-mortar store. Do I question some of the needs of these permissions when I download an app, of course, but I have put myself in this position for the convenience of what that app can do. The terms and conditions and privacy policies of these conveniences are meant to give us peace of mind (and to release the provider of any possible liability of our using their app), but they are usually very long and filled with a lot of legal ese that can be very confusing leading to what is said the be the biggest lies ever  and continually told in the information age "I have read, understand, and agree to the terms and conditions" and the boxed is checked, but hey it's all for the conveniences right?

19 comments:

  1. We trade our information/privacy for convenience effectively indeed!

    Very on-target observations about today's consumers :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is because they are casually data-mining. I believe every app no matter what it is, takes a little piece of our information and sells it to third-party manufacturers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When it comes to technology and information that requires permissions, convenience should not be the priority. In actuality is should the security of the device you are using that should be a priority. A brick and mortar business will always be a better choice and can sometimes stand the test of time. Without a brick and mortar business, we would probably not have electricity and internet to run our lives. So, in my experience, I don't like to trade my information for the convenience of shopping and or storing files on any device. Be safe everyone, and try to be methodical, because you don't always have to be correct about these things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet if you read the end-user license agreement (EULA) many of the apps take your data, contacts, currently open applications and sell that meta data.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've noticed recently that some apps, you can select to have certain data accessed only during the use of the app as opposed to anytime they want. Essentially, your information is still being accessed, but only limited. EULA's can be so difficult to understand. Sometimes, I feel like I need to hire an attorney to help me out with terms. But you are absolutely right, we give up our privacy for convenience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought the same thing why do they need those permission on my device. So now if I need to I will use the website or only allow it when using the app. Just remember its a free app so paying for it with our privacy is what your doing. Is it worth it ?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed reading your post. I think it comes down to convenience. Companies know that most users won't read the agreement because it's long and filled with many legal terms.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree that although it really can feel invasive for the sake of convenience and productivity it may be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it mostly comes down to convenience. We give our data for convenience.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was a very entertaining post. You for sure made me think back to when an app is asking to use my location. I am literally asking myself "For what?". Too funny but you are right. We get over it for the convenience of having the app.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So true on other sites requiring more information that is needed. Many times it is for sending coupons or deals to your contacts. Part of the numbers game. Great observation.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The weirdest one I've read was for the newest Dragon Quest game. If you don't agree to the terms of service it tells you to not use the product, that's it; no refund offered no return policy listed just oh you spent $60 on us thank you... what you don't like the terms of service and use of our product? Then don't play our game. What your money? Oh, well its ours now. There needs to be a limited use license contract.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We love convenience, but nowadays I do notice more and more people questioning on what these companies are doing with the data they collect from them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sure we all know that the information we type into a website; Social Security, Date of Birth, Address, Debit Card Number, C.V.V., that information doesn't just go away. They have to know there is a vast amount of users not reading the terms. Why not put the truth? Then you would have acquired a Legal "Stick Up" License.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am guilty of the same thing - just agree to the EULA to use the free app. I have the same questions you have, but will that deter me from the convenience of ordering from the comfort of my couch and having it delivered to my door? Most likely not. In this day and age, we are creatures of convenience.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I strongly agree with this sentence "knowledge is power, and information is the key." So in today's big data environment, people's lives have become transparent. Of course, it is a mixed blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree with you it annoys me when apps want access to certain things or information on my phone.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree with you completely about when you mentioned knowledge is power. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  19. After reading through your questions, the best I can tell is that all of these applications tend to seek your information in order to enhance your demographics and areas of interest. This is how businesses increase customer preferences and obtain feedback. However, it is disappointing that we must submit personal information in order to access such applications.

    ReplyDelete